Information on Weather Maps
Each weather map for Alaska shows (when available):
(1) Plots of surface weather station reports, including:
During summer and early fall during daylight hours, some images also
- wind speed (in knots) and wind direction;
- cloud cover;
- temperature and dew-point temperature (both in degrees
- sea-level pressure (coded, in millibars); and
- current weather (represented symbolically, if included).
(2) A GOES-West visible satellite image.
(Weather-radar data are not available for Alaska at this WWWeb site.)
The time and date appearing on these maps is in Universal
Time Coordinates (UTC), formerly known as Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).
comments about time labels
for more information.)
For information about reading some of the meteorological information
on these maps, refer to the
key to weather-station plots